Sermons Online?

Feel free to contribute by commenting and if you need to contact me please send emails to StevePreaches@gmail.com

Wednesday 15 August 2018

Finding a church/life balance. Or how to leave your pastor a good eulogy.

Church is great. I love it so much that I work for one. And the people there, they are great too. But just like black forest trifle or binge watching the Fast and Furious movies, you can overdo great things.
Something which I became aware of early on as a pastor is the need to find a church/life balance. I am not talking here about pastors taking a sabbatical or having hobbies and interests to keep them sane. I am talking about the regular person in the pews. And there was an event a few years ago which really brought this home to me.

I was asked to officiate at a funeral for a member of my congregation who had passed away. She was in her nineties and had lived out her final years in a nursing home, because of that I had only met her a handful of times when I first joined the church. I wasn't in a position to write a eulogy since she left the church within weeks of my induction due to diminishing health, I didn't know her well enough and sadly I had to treat her funeral similarly to most other funerals I officiate at. I asked her family what she was like.

N was a special case. Both her husband and her son had passed away decades before, her brothers and sisters too, she had suffered with dementia for years, and the only family she had remaining were her nephews. This can either be seen as a testimony to her longevity or a sign of increasing loneliness in old age. Her nephews spoke fondly of aunty N. They weren't exactly close enough to suffer the deepest throws of grief, but close enough to recall her fondly and want the best funeral possible. And at ninety something, they were prepared for the inevitable.

I sat with them and, after the usual discussion of sympathy and other arrangements, I begin to ask questions regarding her eulogy. 'What did your aunty enjoy?' 'Did she have any favourite books or music that she might want read or played?' 'Where was her favourite holiday?' 'What shows did she listen to on the wireless or watch on TV?'
Their answer to every question was 'Church'. N lived for the church. She had never been on holiday, as far as they knew. They could only ever remember her watching Songs of Praise and listening to religious services. Her sole social outlet was the church. The only book they remember seeing her read was her Bible.
No one else in her family had any interest in church so they were not paying attention to her dalliances into hymns and readings. My Christian friends could tell you a number of my favourite verses (maybe Ecclesiastes 5:2 tonight, but that will change by tomorrow), and they will know about my love for Wesley hymns, or how I often sing Dyma Gariad fel y Moroedd to myself (Here Is Love Vast As The Ocean for those of you who haven't learned Welsh yet).
But when no one else in your family is interested in God or church stuff, it's all just the Bible and hymns to them.

And worse than that. For her entire life, N had been secreted away from her family every Sunday and three nights a week to a whole life they weren't part of. The greatest Christian witness that family could have ever seen was hidden from them, cloistered within the walls of a small valley chapel.
N's funeral broke my heart. It made me realise that I was part of the very organisation which had offered her hope and fellowship, but at the expense of her own family truly knowing her.

I have spoken with other church goers about this too. There's an unspoken pressure in church to attend and to partake in so many activities that they find their home lives lacking. One church member said how he had slipped behind with bill payments because the time he usually spent arranging his finances had been taken up with Bible study and prayer meetings. I meet people who are a wreck, their health affected through exhaustion because it fell it to them to run the soup kitchen and the street walks through the night. I have spoken with children who resent that other church members saw their parents more than they did growing up. And each time I realise how church monopolises lives, and those who pay the greatest cost are our loved ones.

So I took a decision. My church is open for coffee on a Sunday morning, a twenty minute meditation on a Sunday night, and two hours on a Monday for Bible study. Our meditation is swapped once a month for bi-lingual Sunday School. And we close down for most of August.
I want people to have time to spend with their families for Sunday lunch. I want them to be able to join social clubs and to see friends. I want the people who come to church to be with those who love them.
Of course, none of my plans ever work. They have decided that once a fortnight they want to meet for tea and toast on a Thursday morning, or go for a pub lunch, and I am not going to stop them. Church can offer a lot of social activities for those who need it, and my tea and toast group are all retired or unemployed who want somewhere to hang out in the week. It keeps them off the streets and out of trouble, those troublesome geriatrics.

I visit a lot of churches, mostly as a preacher, but occasionally because I love the architecture of cathedrals. I have seen some amazing stained glass windows, some beautiful pulpits, gorgeous alcoves and ceilings. But the single most beautiful thing I have ever found in churches are the congregations. You are beautiful. You, when you share the love that Jesus has for creation, are the most wonderful example of a God who has kissed this world in love. And if you really want to make a difference in the world, please go and live. Spend time with those who love you, spend time with yourself. Church can manage without you for a few nights a week, because one day your pastor will be asking the same questions to your family I asked N's. Please leave them with wonderful memories, and me a good eulogy.

No comments:

Post a Comment